Our lawyers made us do it
We’ve updated our terms and conditions (as of 29th May 2019)
What we have updated:
- We’ve tidied up our spelling mistakes and explanations in a few areas, so things are easier to read and understand.
- We’ve introduced the ability for you to call +1800 numbers (US toll free numbers), these calls will be charged at standard international calling rates (or if available will be deducted from your overseas chat allocation where you have an overseas chat add-on).
- We’ve clarified your rights if Skinny terminates your account.
That’s all folks
Back to top
- If you have a Skinny Prepaid connection that operates on our Network then you are a Skinny customer and you need to read these Customer Terms and the Services Terms (below) (together, the Skinny Prepaid Agreement or agreement) which together govern our contractual relationship with you for the provision of Skinny Prepaid Services on our Network.
- This agreement applies from 29 May 2019, and replaces the earlier 1 September 2018 version.
- Depending on what Skinny Prepaid Services you choose to use of ours, you will also be bound by the specific terms and conditions published on the Skinny Website relating to your Prepaid Plan and any specific terms and conditions relating to the Services you use, like mobile data services. If there is any conflict or inconsistency between:
(a) the terms and conditions set out in this agreement; and
(b) the terms and conditions relating to your Prepaid Plan or the specific terms and conditions relating to the Services you use, then the terms and conditions relating to your Prepaid Plan or the specific terms and conditions relating to the Services you use will prevail over the terms and conditions of this agreement.
- From time to time, we may need to make changes to this agreement, the Services and/or Charges, and any such changes will be made and notified to you in accordance with clause 13 below. The latest version of this Agreement will always be published on our website.
This agreement contains various words and expressions that have defined meanings. These defined words and expressions have the meanings set out below:
"Additional Services" means optional services offered by us in connection with the Skinny Prepaid Services (such as data, SMS, Roaming, and Video Calling) which may incur a fixed recurring Charge and/or other standard or casual Charges. You can find more information about these services, including which ones are available to you and the Charges for using them, on the Skinny Website. “Charges" means charges for access to and use of the Services.
"Content" means information, images and sounds, communications, software, application or any other material made available through the Services and includes wireless data and internet content.
"LMNP Terms" means the Terms for Local and Mobile Number Portability in New Zealand, as amended from time to time.
"Mobile Device" means the mobile phone or other telecommunications device (which incorporates a SIM) which is compatible with and operates on our Network and is used by you to access the Services.
"Mobile Service Provider" means a provider of mobile telecommunication services.
"MMS" means the multimedia messaging service, which allows you to send messages that include multimedia content such as images, audio and video.
"Network" means the telecommunications system owned by us and/or any of any Related Company which we use to provide the Services to you and other customers, including our WCDMA network.
"PIN" means a personal identification number which is necessary for protection from non-sanctioned access to your SIM.
"Port" or "Porting" means the process of transferring your mobile phone number from one Mobile Service Provider to another Mobile Service Provider.
"Prepaid Plan" or “Plan” means the relevant Skinny Prepaid Service pricing plan you choose from time to time.
"PUK1 Code" means a personal unblocking key code which can unblock your SIM.
"Roaming" means an Additional Service that allows you to use your Mobile Device in countries other than New Zealand.
"Services" means the mobile telecommunication services offered by us to you under this agreement, including the Additional Services, and anything else we do or provide in connection with those mobile telecommunication services, which may or may not incur a Charge.
"SIM" means any subscriber identity module (SIM) that we may have provided to you which enables you, when used with a Mobile Device, to access the Services on our Network.
“SMS” means a short message service, which is a form of text messaging on Mobile Devices.
"Related Company" means Spark New Zealand Trading Limited or any company which is a direct or indirect subsidiary of Spark New Zealand Trading Limited, or who would otherwise be deemed to be a related company of Spark New Zealand Trading Limited in accordance with section 2 of the Companies Act 1993;
"Skinny Customer Services" means Skinny Customer Services, which is contactable on 0800 475 4669 (0800 4SKINNY), or on 204 from your Skinny Mobile Device, or by using such other contact details which are updated by us on the Skinny Website.
Skinny Mobile Menu means the menu that is accessed by dialing *888# on your Skinny Mobile Device.
"Skinny Prepaid Account" means the account which records details of the amount of credits you have available from time to time.
"Skinny Prepaid Services" means voice, SMS, data and any other Services provided by us where you pay the Charges in advance by purchasing credit before using the Services.
"Skinny Website" means our website at www.Skinny.co.nz or such other website that we notify you of from time to time.
"we", "our" or "us" means Skinny, a division of Spark New Zealand Trading Limited, trading under the brand Skinny.
"you" or "your" means the customer who is party to this agreement.
Commencement of agreement
This agreement starts when you are first allocated a Skinny mobile phone number to use with your Skinny Prepaid Account or when you first credit your Skinny Prepaid Account or when you first use the Services, whichever happens first.
Provision of Services
- Skinny Prepaid Services allow you to make and receive most local, national and international calls (when within our Network coverage area) using a Mobile Device, and access a range of other Services. You will need a Skinny SIM and a compatible Mobile Device to be able to connect to our Network and use the Services
- We will try our best to provide quality Services to you at all times and with reasonable care and skill. Because of the nature of mobile telecommunications, at times our ability to do so will be affected by factors outside of our control including, but not limited to, geographic conditions and physical obstructions, weather conditions, the number of people trying to use our Network at the same time or faults in our Network or other networks used by us to provide the Services to you and our Services’ reliance on systems and other services that we do not own or control. We therefore cannot promise or guarantee that our Service will be continuous or fault-free or available at a particular location.
- The quality, speed and coverage of the Services also depends partly on your Mobile Device, partly on our Network and partly on other telecommunications networks
- The Services may also be unavailable at times due to maintenance, repairs, upgrades or modifications to our Network or other networks used by us to provide the Services to you. Where it is within our control, we will try to keep such unavailability to a minimum
- You will be charged for each MMS message that is sent from your Mobile Device (e.g. the 'send' button is pressed and the mobile indicates the MMS is sent). MMS messages will be charged at Skinny's standard MMS rate per message to NZ mobile networks. Our MMS service is not available or suitable for use while roaming or for sending to international networks from your Skinny Mobile Device within NZ. The maximum file size of an MMS message is 600KB. If you attempt to send an MMS message over 600KB and/or if the message takes longer than 60 seconds to send, the message may be rejected (not delivered). Mobile Devices and/or our MMS system may automatically reduce the size and/or quality of an MMS message to fit within the maximum message size. It is your responsibility to check the size of an MMS message before you attempt to send it. MMS messages may be scaled by our MMS system to suit the receiving device's specifications, such as screen size and screen resolution. We cannot guarantee that any SMS and MMS messages you attempt to send will be successfully delivered or received.
- Roaming relies on the use of overseas telecommunication networks which we do not control and therefore we cannot guarantee the quality of any Roaming services. Some services, such as video calling and data, may not be available while Roaming. The use by you of overseas telecommunication networks will be subject to our available roaming destinations and the terms and conditions of the relevant network operator. Those terms and conditions will apply in addition to the terms and conditions contained in this agreement.
- You agree to:
• comply with all your obligations in this agreement;
• provide us with all information we reasonably request in connection with this agreement and make sure that all information you give to us or to any third party retailer is accurate and complete;
• keep confidential, and do not disclose to any other person, any PIN or other access code feature used by, or allocated to, you in connection with the Services;
• not use your Mobile Device or the Services in a way that is abusive or offensive or for an illegal or fraudulent purpose;
• not use your Mobile Device or the Services in a way that interferes with any other person's use or enjoyment of the Services;
• not use your Mobile Device or the Services to spam, mail bomb, publish any offensive or unlawful material, harvest information about others, create a false identity, access or upload any Content which breaches a third party right, or any other similar activity;
• use our Services for personal use only and in accordance with clause below;
• use only Mobile Devices and accessories approved for use with our Network and which comply with all relevant legislation and regulations (for example, those that you have purchased from us or our authorised retailers;
• not connect a SIM you have obtained from us to any other telecommunications network, other than as is permitted by the Services we provide for example when you use our roaming services;
• follow the instructions and guidelines we give you about the use of the Services and your Mobile Device;
• not do anything or introduce anything (including any virus) that may damage or harm our Network or equipment or any third party's network or equipment
• authorise us to conduct a credit check on you from time to time when we consider, acting reasonably and in good faith, that it is appropriate;
• not sell or otherwise make the Services available to others or commercially exploit the Services or any Content in any way This prohibited usage includes (but is not limited to) re-supplying Services, provision of call centre services, telemarketing, bulk messaging, application-to-person communications, machine to machine communications (including by using your SIM card in any other device), provision of cellular trunking units (or CTUs) or any other activity Skinny reasonably considers to be non-personal usage;
• never interfere with any part of our Network unless you have been authorised in writing by us to do so;
• authorise us or a person approved by us to remotely access your Mobile Device in order to perform any tasks that are reasonably necessary to protect you or our other customers and their use of the Services, and to maintain, alter or protect the integrity or performance of our Network or our Services or where we have been directed to do so by law;
• comply with the terms of any loan agreement you agree with us relating to any Mobile Device or other equipment you rent from us or that is loaned to you, and return it to us in the same condition you received it, or pay us the replacement costs of such;
• that you may not transfer any benefit or obligation of this agreement it to any other person, and
• indemnify us and any Related Company against any legal action taken, or losses or costs we or any Related Company incur, in connection with your use of your Mobile Device and the Services in breach of this Agreement. The indemnity in this clause shall extend to our officers, employees, contractors and agents and those of any other Related Company.
• You agree to make sure everyone who uses your Mobile Device or SIM complies with the obligations and responsibilities set out in clause 4.7 above. You can take steps to prevent unauthorized use of your Services (for example by using passwords, PIN numbers and other security measures to control who gains access to and uses your Mobile Device and Services).
• Our Services are for personal use only, which means that they are for an individual person to use for reasonable personal and private use only. Any use of our Services for business use, or for large organisations or groups, is not personal use and is prohibited.
• Prohibited Usage: From time to time, we may monitor usage patterns. If your usage of our Services (a) is inconsistent with either normal usage patterns and/or the types of uses and purposes for which we communicate that the Services are to be used for, and/or (b) includes activities such as auto-dialling, continuously call (or text)-forwarding, bulk texting by machines, automated texting, tele-marketing, call centres, and use of cellular trunking units (CTUs), then we may contact you to advise you that your usage is Prohibited. We may then request that you stop or alter your usage accordingly. If your Prohibited Usage continues after receipt of a request to stop or alter the nature of such usage, we may without further notice, suspend, modify or restrict your use of the Services and/or withdraw your access to the Services.
• We may publish on the Skinny Website additional terms, requirements and/or policies relating to fair use that apply to some or all of the Services which will provide further rules and details around how such Services can be used. We will do this to help us prevent spamming, bullying or fraud and to ensure that excessive use of such Services does not prevent our customers from enjoying such Services (for example, by affecting our Network or a specific cell tower).
• You agree that using the Services does not give you any rights in any part of our Network.
Mobile phone numbers
- Unless you Port a mobile phone number to us, we will allocate a mobile phone number to you for use with your Mobile Device or SIM on our Network. The mobile phone number does not belong to you and you may not sell or otherwise transfer it. Any disputes regarding the allocation of mobile phone numbers will be determined by us, acting reasonably and in good faith and taking particular facts of each case into consideration, and our decision will be final.
- In exceptional circumstances, we may be required to change the mobile phone number you use with your Mobile Device or SIM. Where we are required to change your allocated mobile phone number we will try and give you notice of this change.
- If you wish to Port your allocated mobile phone number to another Mobile Service Provider:
• you will need to contact that other Mobile Service Provider;
• you will be responsible for taking all necessary steps to Port the mobile phone number, other than our obligations under the LMNP Terms; and
• you will be responsible for all costs associated with Porting the mobile phone number (for example, the cost of a new SIM that is compatible with that other Mobile Service Provider, or any outstanding charges that you owe us).
• If you have not Ported the mobile phone number allocated to you prior to either the termination of this agreement, your Skinny Prepaid Account being deactivated or your access to the Services being disconnected, we may reallocate that number to another customer
• If you do not use your allocated Skinny Mobile number (for example, you may use the number you ported from another mobile provider instead), Skinny may make the original Skinny allocated mobile number available for future allocation to another person.
Wireless data and content
- If the Services provide links to third party sites and/or Content, we are not responsible for such links, sites or for the Content on any such sites. We have included these links for convenience only and this inclusion is in no way an endorsement of the applicable site or third party
- If the Services allow you to access Content that originates from you or third parties, we may monitor any Content made available by you or any third party in order to maintain the integrity or performance of our Network and/or our Services and, acting reasonably and in good faith, remove any Content we consider to be inappropriate or in breach of any law or third party right. Where we remove any Content in accordance with this clause we will notify you that we have done so and provide you with a reason.
- Without limiting your rights under the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993, we are not responsible for:
• ensuring that any Content you access or make available through using the Services will be private or secure or free from viruses or other harmful things;
• any transactions you enter into, any dealings between you and any advertisers or third parties, or your participation in any promotions through use of the Services;
• any inaccuracies in any Content you obtain from the Services or any loss or damage arising from the use of, or reliance on, such Content;
• any corruption or loss of Content stored on, or transmitted over, our Network;
• any delay in your receipt of Content you select for transmission to your Mobile Device; or
• fixing any faults in your Mobile Device or SIM as a result of you accessing Content
Unwanted programs or Content may be downloaded from the internet without your knowledge, which may give unauthorised persons access to your Mobile Device. You are responsible for ensuring that your Mobile Device has appropriate protections against such unauthorized access and we are not responsible for any such unauthorised access or any damage or loss suffered as a result.
Mobile phone and SIM
- Any SIM we supply to you remains our property and must be returned to us if this agreement ends. It is your responsibility to keep any SIM we supply to you in a good condition
- You must keep your Mobile Device and the SIM secure at all times. We recommend, in order to prevent unauthorised use of your Mobile Device and Services, that you use a PIN and other access code features provided with your Mobile Device and SIM to ensure that only you are able to access and use the Services. You must keep all such PINs and access codes confidential at all times. While we will use security screening and authentication checks where available, we may assume that any request or instruction we receive is authorised by you if it is made from your Mobile Device
- If a PIN is entered incorrectly three times in a row, the SIM will automatically block, and it will not be possible to use it unless it is unblocked. To unblock the SIM, you will need a PUK1 Code, which you can obtain from your SIM packaging or via the Dashboard section on the Skinny Website, or by calling Skinny Customer Services who can talk you through it. Take care when entering the PUK1 Code because if you continue to block your SIM by incorrectly entering the PUK1 Code the SIM will be rendered useless after 10 attempts and you will lose names, numbers and other information stored on it. Because of the nature of the SIM technology we will not be able to get this information back for you. You will then need to purchase a new SIM which comes with a new PUK1 Code, if you wish to continue using the Services
- If you suspect your Mobile Device or SIM supplied to you is lost or stolen you must immediately block your SIM via the Manage SIM page on the Dashboard section of the Skinny Website, or by calling Skinny Customer Services who can talk you through it. This will stop usage Charges to your account. You will remain liable for all Charges incurred in relation to the use of your Mobile Device or the SIM up to the time you inform us that your Mobile Device or SIM is lost or stolen and we have activated a block on your Mobile Device, whether the Charges have been incurred by you or someone else. We recommend you take steps to prevent unauthorized use of your Services (for example by using passwords, PIN numbers and other security measures to control who gains access to and uses your Mobile Device and Services). If your Mobile Device is lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed, we will have no obligation to make a refund to you for the credit left on your Skinny Prepaid Account and you will need to purchase a new Mobile Device and/or SIM if you wish to continue using the Services
- If equipment, including your Mobile Device and SIM, supplied to you by someone else does not work properly, you need to contact the relevant equipment supplier or manufacturer, rather than us, about the problem. We are in no way responsible if this equipment supplied by someone other than us is damaged as a result of the unauthorised use on our Network, or if it does not work on our Network. We are under no obligation to take any action so you can access the Services using this equipment
- Any responsibilities we may have for a Mobile Device or other equipment that you buy directly from us will be covered by a separate warranty or sales agreement for that Mobile Device or other equipment
- You must pay the purchase price of any Mobile Device or other equipment you buy from us. We will continue to own the Mobile Device or other equipment until you have paid for it in full. The Mobile Device or other equipment will be at your risk from the time it is received by you
- If you have a Mobile Device that is SIM locked to our Network (a Skinny SIM Locked Mobile Device), it is to be used exclusively on our Network and must not be unofficially unlocked, interfered with, or disassembled without our prior written approval. A Skinny SIM Locked Mobile Device may only be unlocked by obtaining the manufacturers unlock code from the Skinny website, or by calling Skinny Customer Services who can talk you through how to do it.
An unlock fee applies if network locking is removed from any Skinny SIM Locked Mobile Device within the first nine months of being used on our Network (e.g. from the first time the Skinny SIM Locked Mobile Device is turned on and connects to our Network). The unlock fee is usually $30 (including GST), unless otherwise stated. There is a limited number of times an unlock code can be entered and attempted in a Skinny SIM Locked Mobile Device, so care must be taken to ensure the unlock code is entered correctly and in accordance with our authorised unlocking process.
Any attempts by any person to unlock a Skinny SIM Locked Mobile Device without using our authorised unlocking process will render any applicable warranty associated with that Mobile Device void and may cause technical issues and damage to the Mobile Device or Services for which we will not be responsible or liable. To unlock your Skinny SIM Locked Mobile Device, visit the Skinny Website or call Skinny Customer Services on 0800 4SKINNY who can talk you through it.
Charges and your account
- In order to use the Services, you will need to have a Skinny Prepaid Account which is in credit, or have included quota remaining on an active Prepaid Plan. As Charges are incurred they will be deducted from the credit balance of your Skinny Prepaid Account. You can add additional credit to your Skinny Prepaid Account by; buying and redeeming a Skinny Prepaid Service card or voucher, by making a payment from your Visa or MasterCard credit or debit cards, setting up an auto-top-up on your Skinny Prepaid Account, setting up ‘Set and Forget’ Prepaid Plan payments on your Skinny Prepaid Account, or by using one of the other means of payment accepted by us from time to time. For more information on how to top up your Skinny Prepaid Account please refer to the Skinny Website or contact Skinny Customer Services. No bill will be sent to you in relation to your use of Skinny Prepaid Services, however you can check your account balance and activity of your Skinny Prepaid Account in a number of ways, i.e. using the Skinny App, the Dashboard, the Skinny Mobile Menu, or by calling Customer Services. To contact Skinny, please phone 0800 4754669 (08004SKINNY). Opening hours: Mon-Fri 8am - 7pm; Sat & Sun and all Public Holidays 9am - 5pm.
- Each Skinny Prepaid Service card or voucher has an expiry date printed on it and cannot be used after that date. We will not give refunds for any cards or vouchers not used by their expiry date. If you have a Skinny Prepaid Service card or voucher which has not reached its expiry date and appears to be faulty, contact Skinny Customer Services.
- The Charges for calls made from your Mobile Device are set out in your Prepaid Plan. Generally, there is a minimum one minute charge for each call and calls are charged by the minute.
- Skinny's standard data rates apply when you do not have a current Skinny Prepaid Plan, or Data Add-On that has remaining data included. Data on standard data rates is billed at 5c per 256KB block. You will be charged this 5c at the beginning of each new 256KB block in a single data usage session. A data usage session ends when either (i) a device is turned off, (ii) a device is detached/disconnected from the mobile network e.g. if you travel out of network range, you will be disconnected and when back in range automatically reconnected, which will result in a new session and an initial 5c charge, (iii) after a session has been running for 24 hours it will automatically end and re-start a new session which will result in an initial 5c charge.
- Skinny’s data rates for Unlimited data on the $77 plan is calculated based on usage billed in 256KB blocks, rounded up, at the earlier of (i) the end of a 256KB data session or (ii) a twenty-four-hour period, with a minimum charge of 1KB.
- Skinny's data rates for included data in a Skinny Prepaid Plan (excluding the $77 Plan referenced above) is calculated based on usage and billed in 64KB blocks, rounded up, at the earlier of (i) the end of a 64KB data session or (ii) a twenty-four hour period, with a minimum charge of 1KB. See table below with an example of how this works:
Data Deducted From Your Plan Balance
Note: 8 bits (b) = 1 byte (B); 1024 bytes = 1 kilobyte (KB); 1024 KB = 1 megabyte (MB).
- SMS is charged per SMS sent. Please see your Prepaid Plan for more information about Charges for calls, SMS and data. The Charges for our other Services are set out on the Skinny Website. We may change our Charges from time to time and will notify you of any changes in accordance with clause 13.
- You are responsible for the use of your Mobile Device and you are liable for all Charges under this agreement whether incurred by you or someone else using your Mobile Device or SIM (with or without your knowledge). This includes when your Mobile Device or SIM has been lost or stolen, and prior to us activating a block on your Mobile Device or SIM. We recommend you take steps to prevent unauthorized use of your Services (for example by using passwords, PIN numbers and other security measures to control who gains access to and uses your Mobile Device and Services).
- If the credit balance on your Skinny Prepaid Account is used up while you are on a call, the call will be disconnected. We will not be liable for calls being disconnected after your credit has been used up
- If the credit balance on your Skinny Prepaid Account is used up while you have an open data session, the session will be terminated.
- If you have no credit on your Skinny Prepaid Account or have no quota remaining on an active Prepaid Plan, you will not be able to make any chargeable outgoing calls (except to emergency services on 111 or to Skinny Customer Services or any other non-chargeable calls) or use any other Services that would incur a Charge.
- You must add credit to your Skinny Prepaid Account at least once every 12 months, otherwise your Skinny Prepaid Account will be deactivated, or expired. When your Skinny Prepaid Account is deactivated all credit will expire. Any accrued Skinny Dollars will expire either on 12 months after last top-up or 2 December 2014, whichever comes first. If this happens, clause 10.2 will apply.
- If you damage or lose your SIM, you can purchase a new SIM from the Skinny Website and transfer your number to that new SIM. The facility for transferring your number to a new SIM is within the Dashboard section of the Skinny Website or call Skinny Customer Services who can talk you through how to do it.
- You are responsible for any roaming services charges you incur, and you are liable for all charges incurred on your account or deducted from your prepaid balance while roaming. Please note that there may be a delay for roaming services charges to appear on your account because the information must first be provided to Skinny from the overseas network operator.>To help you manage the Charges when you are roaming you can check out our helpful roaming tips on our Website.
- From time to time we may change Charges, and we make such changes and notify you in accordance with clause 13 of these Customer Terms.
Withholding, suspending or restricting services
- We may withhold, suspend or restrict your use of any or all of the Services or disconnect you from the Network without warning if:
• you or anyone who uses your Mobile Device or SIM does not comply with the terms and conditions of this agreement or any other agreement with us, including any terms and conditions relating to Additional Services;
• you or anyone who uses your Mobile Device or SIM damages our Network or puts our Network at risk;
• you harass, abuse or threaten our staff; or
• you notify us that your Mobile Device or SIM has been lost or stolen.
- We may also need to suspend your use of the Services and disconnect you from our network without warning if our Network needs urgent maintenance or upgrading.
- When we withhold, suspend, restrict or disconnect a Service for the reasons set out in clause 9.1 above, you may have to purchase a new SIM, prepaid credit or Mobile Device, before you can use the Services again.
Giving up or ending services
Back to top
- You may end this agreement at any time for any reason by:
• simply ceasing to add credit to your Skinny Prepaid Account at least once every 12 months (see clause 8.11 above); or
• porting your mobile phone number to another Mobile Service Provider, or
• contacting Skinny Customer Services, and terminating your Services.
- We may end this agreement immediately without notice to you if:
• we have the right to suspend your access to the Services for any of the reasons set out in clause 9.1 above that have not been rectified within two weeks;
• you breach this agreement in a material way (for example, if you do something that could negatively impact our Network) and do not put it right within seven days of us asking you to, or
• you become insolvent or bankrupt, or a receiver, manager and receiver, or statutory manager is appointed over any or all of your assets, or any resolution is passed, or any proceeding is commenced to wind you up or liquidate you, or your poor payment history indicated, acting reasonably and in good faith, that you are unable to pay Charges.
- If this agreement ends for one of the reasons in clause 10.1 or 10.2 above:
• any unused Skinny Prepaid Service cards or vouchers you have will still expire on their expiry date;
• any unused credit on your Skinny Prepaid Account will lapse. Where we have terminated your account in accordance with clause 10.2 and you have any unused credit on your Skinny Prepaid Account, we will provide you with a refund provided you contact us within 6 weeks of the termination date.
• any names, numbers and other information stored on your SIM may be lost; and
• unless we agree otherwise or unless it has been Ported prior to giving up the Services, any mobile phone number allocated for you to use under this agreement will no longer be available to you
• You may temporarily or permanently give up any Additional Service via the Dashboard section on the Skinny Website, or by calling Skinny Customer Services who can talk you through how to do it
• If this agreement ends or you give up any Service and later want it reconnected, you may have to purchase a new SIM, credit and/or Mobile Device.
• Ending this agreement does not affect any rights and responsibilities which are intended to continue or come into force afterwards
Consumer Protection Legislation and Liability
- As a consumer, it is important that you understand that any rights you may have, or obligations we may have to you, under the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993 and the Fair Trading Act 1986 apply alongside these Terms, and are not impacted by anything in this clause 11. The website https://www.consumerprotection.govt.nz/ is a useful place to visit to help you understand your rights under this legislation.
- If you are acquiring the Services for the purposes of a business as defined in the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993 you acknowledge that the provisions of that Act do not apply to the Services that that we provide to you under this agreement.
- Your liability to us:
• you accept your liability to us for breach of contract or negligence, and
• you are not liable for any loss to the extent that it is caused by us (for example, through our breach of contract or negligence). Our liability to you:
• we accept our liability to you for breach of contract or negligence subject to clause 11.9, and for our breach of consumer protection laws, such as the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993 and the Fair Trading Act 1986 to the extent they apply to you.
• we are not liable for any loss to the extent that it is caused by you (for example, through your breach of contract or negligence).
- We are not liable to you for any indirect or consequential loss, or for any loss of profits, revenue, goodwill, business or anticipated business or anticipated profits or savings.
- You may become aware that you have suffered loss before we do. If you suffer any loss as a result of this agreement, you agree to take reasonable steps to avoid or minimise your loss and that we are not liable for any loss that results from your failure to take reasonable steps to do so.
- We aim to provide quality services to you at all times, and exercise reasonable skill and care in performing our obligations to you. However, if we are prevented from performing any obligation in these Terms by reason of any act of God, act of State, riot, insurrection, civil commotion, strike, sanctions, boycott, embargo or any other circumstance beyond our reasonable control, we will try to advise you of the existence of the circumstances and its expected duration, and the obligations that are impacted by the circumstances. Our performance of these Terms and provision of Services to you will, to the extent that it is made impossible or impracticable by such circumstances (despite us taking reasonable steps to provide the services be suspended until such circumstances cease to exist. We are not liable to you for any failure or delay in performing any obligation set out in these Terms in the circumstances contemplated by this clause 11.7. You will not be required to pay any Charges for any Services to the extent that such Services are not provided by us due to the circumstances contemplated by this clause 11.7.
- No other Spark company, network operator and/or third party supplier (including their officers, employees, contractors and agents) will be liable to you for loss or damage of any kind arising from your use of the Services. This clause creates a right and benefit that other Spark companies, network operators and/or suppliers can enforce as a defence to any claim
- If we or any of the other parties listed in the clause above are ever liable to you for any reason, the maximum combined amount we and all the other parties listed in clause 11.8 (together) will have to pay you and anyone else who uses the Services we provide for you (together), will be:
• $1,000 for any event or for any series of related events; and
• a total of $5,000 in respect of all events in any 12 month period,
provided that you notify us of your claim within 12 months after you reasonably became aware of the occurrence of the relevant event or series or events that gave rise to your claim.
- The limitations do not limit any rights you may have under the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993 and the Fair Trading Act 1986.
Information about you
- While you have an agreement with us or any Related Company, you agree that we and any Related Company may collect information about you. The information may be obtained from you, from others, or generated within our Network when you or anyone else uses the Services or the services of any service provider approved by us. You may decide whether to provide any information any of us request from you. However, if you do not provide it, we and any Related Company may not be able to provide services to you. You may ask to see information that we or any of our Related Company holds about you and ask for any details that are wrong to be corrected
- We, any Related Company and, to the extent appropriate, any service providers approved by us, including service providers providing directory listing and directory assistance services, may hold information about you and share it to the extent appropriate with each other, with our employees, contractors and agents and any approved service provider and with credit reference and debt collection agencies. This enables us, any Related Company, agencies and approved service providers to provide services for you and others, send you bills, recover and report on money you owe and keep you informed of services available to you. Credit reporters may include credit checks and any defaults in payment to us and any Related Company in their databases and share this information with others who wish to conduct credit checks on you
- Marketing Contact
From time to time we may contact you about Skinny products and services and/or send you sales and marketing information about Skinny products and services, including within a reasonable time of this agreement ending. You can let us know at any time if you do not want to receive sales and marketing information via the Dashboard section on the Skinny Website or by calling Skinny Customer Services. You also agree that the sales and marketing information we send you electronically need not include an unsubscribe facility.
- We, and any Related Company, may
• share with other network operators the mobile phone numbers allocated to you and any other information (not including your name and address) needed to enable you to make and receive calls through their networks; and
• share, to the extent appropriate, your name, address and the mobile phone numbers allocated to you with any of our agents or service providers for the purpose of providing the Services to you.
• We may occasionally monitor telephone calls between customers and our personnel so as to help train our personnel to provide better customer service. Any information we collect by doing this will be used in strict compliance with all applicable privacy laws.
• You must amend your details on the Skinny Website or by contacting Skinny Customer Services as soon as possible about any change to your name, address or any other details you have provided to us.
- How we use your information
We use your information to measure the number of visitors to different parts of the site and for a number of different purposes connected with the provision of telecommunication services, for example, to measure the effectiveness of advertising.
Although we may publish aggregated information about usage patterns, we do not disclose information about individual machines or persons except for the reasons set out below in this section. We do not sell information which identifies you personally. We may gather more extensive information if we are concerned, for example, about security issues. If we think it is necessary, we can disclose information to relevant law enforcement authorities, such as the Police or the Department of Internal Affairs.
If you choose to provide us with personal information such as your email address, for example by filling out an electronic query or order form, we will use the information to communicate with you in relation to all the goods and services which we provide to you or which we consider might be of interest to you. This may include email marketing.
Personal information will be stored and used in accordance with our Terms and Conditions.
Our website places a cookie on the hard drive of your computer. A "cookie" is a file which allows us to track and target the interests of users.
In addition, our website uses third party cookies from Google Analytics for Display Advertisers, including the following features:
• Google Display Network Impression Reporting - which gives us additional insight into who has viewed our paid digital advertising on other websites. This will help us optimise and tailor our advertising.
• DoubleClick Platform integrations & Remarketing with Google Analytics – the integrations between both our web analytics and paid advertising platforms together to give us additional insight. This allows us to tailor our advertising to ensure the right types and offers are shown to you while you are using the internet outside our website.
• Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting - which gives us insight into behaviour information relating to visitor age, gender and interests on an anonymous and aggregate level. This will help us to understand browsing behaviour to give you a better experience whilst visiting our sites.
While we recommend that users enable cookies on their browsers in order to enjoy all the features of our website, the decision remains in the hands of the individual. Most browsers allow you to control management of cookies, this will be different depending on each user's PC - refer to your browser help menu for further information.
Changing these terms, Charges and Services
- Changes to terms: From time to time we may need to change the terms of this Agreement by changing or removing existing terms or by adding new ones. Changes may take the form of completely new terms. If we determine, acting reasonably and in good faith, that a change will have, or is likely to have a detrimental impact on you, we will give you at least two weeks’ notice of the change. We will tell you about any changes to the terms of this Agreement by SMS messaging you and/or emailing you, and will publish the change on our website. Your continued use of our Services after changes have been notified to you in this way indicates your acceptance of those changes. If you do not agree to the changes you may exercise your right to terminate this agreement.
- Changes to Charges: We may change our Charges from time to time. When we decrease charges for any Services we may make the change immediately and we will tell you about the change as soon as possible after the change has been made by SMS messaging you and/or emailing you and publishing the change on our website.
When we increase Charges for any of our Services (including introducing charges for Services that are currently free) and you are impacted by the change, we will give you one month’s notice of these changes. We will notify you of these changes by SMS messaging you and/or emailing you and publishing the change on our website.
- Changes to Services: We may alter our Services from time to time. If we reasonably consider that a change to our Services is likely to benefit you or have a neutral impact on you we may make that change immediately and will tell you about the change as soon as possible after the change has been made by SMS messaging you and/or emailing you, and publishing the change on our website. Examples of changes that will benefit you include inclusion of additional benefits in your Skinny Prepaid Plan. Examples of changes that will have a neutral impact on include changing the name a Skinny Prepaid Plan.
If we alter our Services in a way that reduces the Service offering currently received by you and the change is within our control we will provide you two weeks’ notice, of such alterations. However, if the change is outside of our control, and it is possible, we will provide you notice of the change beforehand. If the change is outside of our control and we are unable to provide you notice of the change beforehand we will provide you notice as soon as possible after the change has been made. We will tell you about any such alterations by SMS messaging you and/or emailing you and publishing the change on our website.
We may change you to a new Skinny Prepaid Plan if we consider, acting reasonably and in good faith, that you will be better off, and will give you two weeks’ notice of such a change by SMS messaging you and/or emailing you, and publishing the change on our website. 4. Right to Terminate: If you do not agree to any changes made in accordance with this clause, you may exercise your right to terminate this Agreement by ceasing to use the Services.
Meeting our responsibilities through agents and service providers
We may have any Related Company, or an agent approved by us or any service provider approved by us perform any of our rights and obligations under this agreement. In that case, each of those companies or agents or service providers and their officers, employees, contractors and agents will have the benefit of any terms of this agreement which confer benefits on us.
Transferring our responsibilities
We may transfer to someone else all or any part of our side of the agreement you have with us, for example if our company ownership and/or structure changes.
More than one customer
Every person named as the customer in your application to use the Services must meet all of the customers responsibilities under this agreement, including the payment of any amounts owing to us by the customer in accordance with this agreement.
Each term of this agreement is separately binding. If for any reason any term is not legally effective all other terms shall remain binding and we can replace the term that is not legally effective with a term of similar meaning that is lawful and effective.
A failure or delay by you or us to enforce any rights or powers under this agreement shall not operate as a waiver of that right or power. A waiver of any breach of this agreement shall not be deemed to be a waiver of any other or subsequent breach.
This agreement is governed by the laws of New Zealand and you submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of New Zealand in respect of any dispute or proceeding arising out of it.
Back to top
Back to top
These Terms apply to customers who sign up to Skinny services. If you’ve signed up to Skinny services and subscribed to your Prepaid Plan these terms will apply to you as long as you keep renewing your Prepaid Plan.
The following terms (the Service Terms) describe the terms and conditions that apply to Skinny Prepaid Services and Additional Services. The Skinny Customer Terms apply in addition to these Skinny Service Terms. Any defined terms used in these Service Terms have the same meaning as given to those terms in the Skinny Customer Terms.
If you have a Skinny Prepaid connection that operates on the Network, then you will need to read and understand these Service Terms.
Changes to these terms
From time to time Skinny may need to change these Services Terms, and/or Services and Charges. Any changes will be made, and notified to you, in accordance with clause 13 of the Customer Terms.
Personal use only
Skinny's Services are for personal use only, which means that they are for an individual person to use for reasonable personal and private use only. Any use of our Services for business use, or for large organisations or groups, is not personal use and is prohibited.
You can choose to be either on a Skinny Prepaid Plan, or a Prepaid Plan with Add-Ons, or choose to use Skinny's Standard rates. Unless you select a Skinny Prepaid Plan, Skinny's Standard Rates automatically apply to any usage.
For Four Week (28 day) Prepaid Plans, included mins, texts, and data are valid for 28 days from purchase. Four Week Prepaid Plans will auto-renew every 28 days if you have enough credit (unless cancelled) or your Set and Forget auto payment is successful.
For Weekly (7 day) Prepaid Plans, included mins, texts, and data are valid for 7 days from purchase. Weekly Prepaid Plans auto-renew every 7 days if you have enough credit (unless cancelled) or your Set and Forget auto payment is successful.
For 30 day Prepaid Plans, included mins, texts, and data are valid for 30 days from purchase. 30 day Prepaid Plans will auto-renew every 30 days if you have enough credit (unless cancelled) or your Set and Forget auto payment is successful.
Included data, text and calling minutes are for personal use only. Any non-personal, commercial, business, machine generated or automated use is prohibited.
Calling minutes exclude calls to 0900 numbers, special numbers (such as 018 numbers) premium rate numbers, numbers provided through calling cards, international numbers (unless expressly included in your plan), international toll-free numbers and satellite phones, which will be charged at rates specified by the relevant service provider.
Included texts does not include SMS messages to short codes, premium rate numbers, international numbers (unless expressly included in your plan) and satellite phones, which will be charged at rates specified by the relevant service provider.
Exceeding your Prepaid Plan’s allowance
If you have used up all of the minutes or texts included in your Prepaid Plan, you will pay Skinny’s overage rates if you continue to use the Skinny Prepaid Services. You can view these overage rates here. Alternatively, you can purchase an add-on of minutes or text, or purchase another Plan. If you have used up all of the MBs included in your Prepaid Plan, your data will stop. You will need to purchase a data add-on or another Skinny Prepaid Plan that includes data allowance to be able to use data.
Prepaid Plan Renewal
If you’ve subscribed to a Prepaid Plan and you have sufficient credit in your Skinny Prepaid Account, or you have a Set and Forget auto payment, your Prepaid Plan will automatically renew when the Prepaid Plan expires. If you have a Skinny Prepaid Accounts credit balance, this balance will reduce by the value of that Prepaid Plan. If you have a Set and Forget auto payment, your registered payment card will be debited by the value of the Prepaid Plan. If you have selected a 7 day or 28 day Add-On in addition to your Prepaid Plan your Add-On will renew 7 or 28 days after purchase if you have sufficient credit in your Skinny Prepaid Account and your Prepaid Plan has auto renewed and is active.
Auto Renew Bonus
The auto renew bonus is available with the $5 Weekly Prepaid Plan. The bonus is awarded each time the Prepaid Plan auto renews. The bonus lasts 7 days. You must have sufficient credit for your Prepaid Plan to auto renew.
Cancelling Prepaid Plan
You can cancel your Prepaid Plan via the Skinny Mobile Menu, the Skinny App, on your Dashboard page on the Skinny Website or by contacting Skinny Customer Services. Once you cancel your Prepaid Plan, you are no longer on an active Prepaid Plan, it is immediately deactivated. Despite that Prepaid Plan no longer being active, you can still use any unused calls, texts and/or data quota that remain on that cancelled Prepaid Plan, and on any associated Add-On, until its expiry date/time. However, you will no longer be entitled to any special rates or products that are only available for ‘active’ Prepaid Plans i.e. Cheap International Calling Rates. If you cancel a Skinny Prepaid Plan, any associated Add-Ons, will also be cancelled. Neither your Prepaid Plan nor Add-On will auto renew once your Prepaid Plan has been cancelled.
Prepaid Plan Inclusions
Unlimited Skinny to Skinny Calling Mins and Unlimited NZ & AU Mins
Unlimited Skinny Minutes are for standard person-to-person voice calls to standard NZ Skinny numbers (you need to be talking to another person). Unlimited NZ & AU Minutes are for standard person-to-person voice calls to standard NZ & AU numbers. Excludes calls to premium and special numbers. Unlimited Minutes cannot be used for multiple simultaneous calling, re-supply, call centre usage, telemarketing, bulk messaging, application-to-person communication, continuously call forwarding, auto-dialing, machine-to-machine communication (including by using your SIM card in any other device), Cellular Trunking Units (CTUs), or any other activity that Skinny considers to be non-standard personal usage (“Prohibited Usage”). If we consider that you are engaging in Prohibited Usage we may contact you and ask you to stop such usage. If such Prohibited Usage continues despite notification from us, we may remove your Prepaid Plan immediately without notice. Premium rate numbers mean any international calls (including international toll-free calls), 0900 calls, premium number calls, operator assisted calls, directory related services, chargeable special short code numbers and Prohibited Usage.
Rollover Data only applies to the included data on the $16, $26, $36, $46 and $66 Prepaid Plans. Data in any Add-On with one of these Prepaid Plans does not rollover. If you have any unused included data on your Prepaid Plan renewal date, it will rollover provided your Prepaid Plan auto-renews. If you move to another eligible Prepaid Plan your Rollover Data remains valid. However, if you move to a non-eligible Prepaid Plan, or if your eligible Prepaid Plan failed to renew at the end of its cycle, your Rollover Data will be frozen. You can continue using your Rollover Data if you activate an eligible Prepaid Plan. You can keep and use any Rollover Data for 12 months from the date of original purchase. Rollover Data on the $16, $26, $36, $46 and $66 Prepaid Plans is for data usage in NZ only. Unlimited Data on the $77 Unlimited Mobile Plan is for data usage in NZ only.
Rollover minutes only apply to the NZ and Australian included Rollover minutes on the $16 and $26 Prepaid Plans. Minutes in any Add-Ons with one of these Prepaid Plans do not rollover. If you have any unused included Rollover minutes on your Prepaid Plan renewal date, they will rollover provided your Prepaid Plan auto-renews. If you move to another eligible Prepaid Plan your Rollover Minutes remain valid. If you move to a non-eligible Prepaid Plan, or if your eligible Prepaid Plan failed to renew at the end of its cycle, your Rollover Minutes will be frozen. You can continue using your Rollover Minutes if you activate an eligible Prepaid Plan. You can keep and use all your Rollover Minutes for 12 months from purchase. Rollover minutes on the $16 and $26 and Unlimited Minutes on the $36, $46, $66 and $77 Unlimited Mobile Plans are for voice calls in NZ to any NZ and Australian standard landlines and mobile networks. Excludes premium rate numbers, other international numbers and satellite phones. Standard person to person calls, any non-personal, commercial, business, machine generated or automated use is prohibited.
Cheap International Calling Rates
You need to have an active Skinny Prepaid Plan, weekly or 28 day, to get Skinny’s Cheap International Calling Rates. If you cancel your Prepaid Plan, or your Prepaid Plan fails to renew (for example due to insufficient Skinny prepaid account credit), you are no longer on an active Prepaid Plan - it is immediately deactivated - and you will no longer be entitled to these Cheap International Calling Rates. These Cheap International Calling Rates apply to person to person calls made in NZ to standard landline and mobiles in selected countries as specified on the Skinny website. Cheap International Calling Rates do not apply to premium rate landline and mobile numbers or to international toll free numbers. If calling from outside NZ, roaming charges apply.You can view our International Call and Text charges here.
$77 Unlimited Mobile Plan
Skinny’s standard terms and conditions apply in addition to those below.
Your Data: Unlimited data for personal NZ use on your mobile only. Excludes Roaming data. Max speeds reduced after 40GB of data usage per billing cycle. You will still be able to use your data like you did before but you will experience some degradation (such as lower video resolution) when watching video, streaming or loading images. No rollover, purchase of Data Binge or gifting on Skinny Unlimited Mobile.
Unlimited data may be used for standard personal use only. Machine to machine services, or any other similar activity that Skinny considers to be non-standard personal usage is prohibited (“Prohibited Usage”).
Calls & Texts: You get unlimited calls and texts to standard NZ and Australian numbers (you need to be calling or texting another person). Excludes premium and special numbers and roaming.
Unlimited calls and texts cannot be used for re-supply, call centre usage, telemarketing, bulk messaging, application-to-person communication, machine to machine communication (including by using your SIM card in any other device), Cellular Trunking Units (CTUs), or any other activity that Skinny considers to be non-standard personal usage ("Prohibited Usage").
If we consider you are engaging in Prohibited Usage we may ask you to stop such usage and if it continues, suspend your service immediately with notice.
Service may be slowed, suspended, terminated, or restricted for misuse or interference with our network. Skinny reserves the right to remove the offer or the plan from the market (and recommend migration to the best alternative plan) in accordance with our standard terms.
Discounts and offers:
Plan may not be eligible for offers, credits, or discounts.
There is no rollover, purchase of data binge, or gifting available on the $77 Unlimited Mobile Plan.
Back to top
New Zealand Add-Ons and International Calling Add-Ons
You can view our Add-On pricing and eligibility rules here.
You can view our International Add-Ons here.
You can add Add-Ons to your 28 day or Weekly Prepaid Plan, unless stated otherwise. You will be charged the full amount for your Add-On and receive the full included quota at the time of purchase. All 28 day and 7 day Add-Ons (except Roaming and International Add-Ons) will auto-renew every 28 days or 7 days from purchase if your Prepaid Plan has auto renewed, is still active and you have enough credit to buy the Add-On. If you change Prepaid Plan to a different eligible Prepaid Plan, your Add-On will remain active and will still renew on its planned renewal date provided the Prepaid Plan is active and you have enough credit for the Add-On. Roaming and International Add-Ons don’t auto renew.
If you want to purchase the same Add-On more than once during your Prepaid Plan cycle, you'll need to cancel the existing Add-On first and then purchase a new one using the Skinny Mobile Menu, App or our website. You'll keep any quota remaining from the original Add-On until its expiry date.
Your Add-On renewal date will change accordingly.
International Calling Add-Ons
Back to top
You can view our International Calling Add-Ons here.
• Aussie Chat Add-On gives you 120 minutes to use for calling landlines and mobiles in Australia. Calls will be rounded up to the closest minute.
• Overseas Chat Add-On gives you 300 minutes to use for calling landlines and mobiles in China, Hong Kong, India, UK, USA, Canada, Singapore, Thailand, Belgium, France, Denmark, Germany, Italy, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, South Korea, Malaysia, Bangladesh, Ireland, Netherlands or South Africa. Calls will be rounded up to the closest minute.
• The Aussie and Overseas Chat Add-ons will be valid for 30 days from purchase and will not roll over.
• If you have used up your Aussie and Overseas Chat minutes allocation, standard charges will apply.
• You cannot use your Aussie and Overseas Chat minutes allocation if you are roaming. Standard roaming rates will apply, or purchase an Overseas Roaming Add-On.
• Calls to international toll-free numbers will be charged from your Aussie or Overseas Chat minutes allocation. If you have used up your Aussie or Overseas Chat allocation standard charges for international calls will apply. For example, calls to +1 800 USA toll free numbers will be charged from your Overseas Chat allocation if you have purchased the Overseas Chat Add-On, or the standard international rate for the USA if you have no Add-on.
You can view our Overseas Roaming Add-Ons here.
- Included Countries
Our roaming Add-Ons allow you to roam in the following countries
Australia, Argentina, Canada, Puerto Rico, USA, US Virgin Island, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Spain, UK, China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Philippines, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, UAE, Fiji, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Tonga, Vanuatu, India, Vietnam, American Samoa, Qatar, Switzerland, South Africa
- 3 and 7 Day Packs
Incoming calling allowances have been included to allow you to receive calls on your mobile when in one of the countries stated in paragraph above. The outgoing calling allowance allows you to make calls from within any of the countries stated in paragraph above . The included texts allowance is for sending texts to numbers within included destinations as well as sending messages to other countries when you are in any of the destinations stated in paragraph above.
You can only purchase the 3 and 7 day packs as a one-off and these packs will not automatically renew. Once your pack has expired, you will revert to casual rates for text and calling in that country. Casual data rates are not available from Skinny. The inclusions within these packs apply for Prepaid roaming usage in included countries only – allowances are not valid within New Zealand, or in other roaming destinations (including cruise ships or flights).
3 and 7 day packs will be activated immediately after your purchase in New Zealand or overseas, whenever the purchase is made, and will expire 3 days or 7 days , respectively, after purchase, or full consumption of inclusions. In order to avoid your Add-On being consumed outside of your roaming destination it is recommended you purchase it once you land at your roaming destination.
This Roaming Add-On is in addition to any New Zealand Prepaid Plan or Add-On you already
- 7 day Data Pack
Add-On is available for 7 days, and is a one-off purchase.
Once you have used the Add-On you will need to purchase another Overseas Roaming Add-On if you want to continue to use data roaming. Casual data rates are not available from Skinny.
The data inclusion within this pack applies for prepaid and roaming usage in included countries only – allowances are not valid within New Zealand, or other roaming destinations (including cruise ships or flights)
The 7 day Data Pack will be activated immediately after your purchase in New Zealand or overseas, whenever the purchase is made, or after full consumption of inclusions. In order to avoid your Add-On being consumed outside of your roaming destinations it is recommended you purchase it once you land at your roaming destination.
This Data Add-On is in addition to any New Zealand Prepaid Plan or Add-On you already have.
Data Binge allows you to buy prepay mobile data in time-restricted data sessions. To buy a Data Binge you need to be an active Skinny Mobile customer, with sufficient top up credit. Data Binge can be purchased via the Skinny Mobile app, or by texting DATABINGE to 2424. Data Binge cannot be purchased via any other channel. Roaming data excluded.
Data Binge is for personal use only on your mobile phone device while you are in New Zealand. Prohibited usage: Data Binge is not to be used for machine to machine services, tethering, mobile hotspots or any other similar activity that Skinny considers to be non-standard personal usage, and is not to be used on tablets, laptops, t-sticks, modems, hotspots, computers and any other non-mobile devices, or outside New Zealand. If we consider, acting reasonably, that you are using Data Binge in these prohibited ways we may contact you, and/or withdraw, suspend or terminate your access to Data Binge.
Data Binge, and its features, may change in whole or part from time to time.
Data Binge is not available on the $77 Unlimited Mobile Plan.
Data Binge session will commence from the moment of the purchase, and will continue running until expiry. You cannot pause your Data Binge session once started. Any Data Binge sessions purchased while another Data Binge session is active, will not start until the end of your current active session.
Once your Data Binge session has finished, normal mobile data usage will apply. This means that:
• if you have data allowances available from a purchase of a Prepaid Plan, Add-On, or Skinny Collect Bonus, this data will be available to use again.
• if you are a Prepaid Plan customer with no data allowance remaining, no further data usage or charges will apply
• if you’re a Standard Rates customer, standard data rates will apply
Skinny will endeavour to provide you with two Data Binge expiry notifications via Skinny Mobile App and a text message – one sent 2 minutes prior to expiry, and a second one sent once your session has expired. If you are using consecutive Data Binge sessions (i.e. you’ve purchased additional sessions while another Data Binge session was active), the notifications will be sent when your total available Data Binge minutes expire.
Your ability to receive notifications will depend on various factors outside our control, such as network conditions and/or if you enable receipt of notifications on your device or via the Skinny App. Not receiving an expiry notification does not release you from any responsibility to pay additional charges incurred from the use of data outside your Data Binge session. To change how your account is set up to receive the Data Binge notifications, log in to your Skinny dashboard, choose Settings, and click “Change your notifications”.
Standard Rates, Overage, and Other Charges
You can view our Standard Rates, Overage Charges, and other charges here.
- Call Charges
Skinny's calling Standard rates apply when you do not have a current Skinny Prepaid Plan e.g. you don't have a current Prepaid Plan, calling Add-On, other Skinny Prepaid Plan that has remaining calling minutes included. Skinny's overage rates apply if you consume all the included minutes in your Skinny Prepaid Plan before its renewal date. If your included national voice calling allocation expires during a call, the remainder of the call will be charged at the overage rate. The minimum call charge for your Standard calling rates will be the full minute rate for each minute or part minute. To be able to initiate or continue a call you must have the equivalent of at least one minute worth of calling credit remaining on your Skinny Prepaid Account, or at least one included minute remaining on your Skinny Prepaid Plans included minutes. If there is no answer you won't be charged for the call (note, calls answered by a message service or answering machine are chargeable).
- Text Charges
Skinny’s text Standard rates apply when you do not have a current Skinny Prepaid Plan, text Add-On, other Skinny Prepaid Plan that has remaining texts included. Skinny's overage rates apply if you consume all the included texts in your Skinny Prepaid Plan before its renewal date. All text messages are deducted from your Skinny Prepaid Accounts credit balance, or your Skinny Prepaid Plans included texts, once sent. It is your responsibility to ensure numbers are valid and correct. To be able to initiate a text you must have the equivalent of at least one texts worth of credit remaining on your Skinny Prepaid Account, or at least one included text remaining on your Skinny Prepaid Plans included texts.
A single text message is up to 160 standard characters. Most mobile phones can send text messages longer than 160 standard characters. To do this the text messages are adjoined into multiple text segments, with each text segment having a lower standard character count (usually 153 standard characters per text segment). Each text segment is charged as one text which results in a 161 to 306 standard character text being charged as two texts, 307 to 459 three texts, 460 to 612 four texts, and so on. However, some devices are configured to automatically convert long text messages into a MMS (Multimedia Messaging Service, or picture message), and as our charges are based on the type of message that is sent from the device, you will be charged for an MMS as a result. Non-standard characters such as Arabic, Chinese, Korean, Japanese or Cyrillic and emoticons (e.g. coloured smiley, grumpy or jumpy faces) use more capacity and therefore reduce the maximum character capacity of text messages further. For international texts or when roaming, a single text message or text segment standard character count can vary, but not below 140 standard characters per text.
- MMS Charges
MMS is the multimedia messaging service, which allows various media such as pictures, video and audio to be sent and received by your Mobile Device. MMS video messages are not the same as video calling. Information on video calling is included under the “Other Services” heading in these Service Terms. Skinny’s standard MMS rates apply to any MMS messages sent to NZ mobile networks from your mobile phone. Skinny does not currently have any Prepaid Plans that include a MMS message allowance. MMS messages cost 50c per message to any NZ network. All charges for MMS messages are deducted from your Skinny Prepaid Account’s credit balance if a MMS message is sent from your Mobile Device (e.g. you press ‘send’ and the mobile indicates the MMS is sent). To be able to initiate a MMS message, you must have at least 50c credit remaining on your Skinny Prepaid Account. The maximum file size of a MMS message is 600KB. If you attempt to send a file larger than 600KB, the message may be rejected and/or you may be charged for multiple MMS messages. If your MMS message takes longer than 60 seconds to send, the message may be rejected and/or you may be charged for multiple MMS messages. It is your responsibility to check that your Mobile Device is capable of sending, and is configured correctly to be able to send, MMS messages. Your Mobile Device and/or our MMS system may scale MMS messages to fit within the maximum 600KB size. It is your responsibility to ensure MMS messages you attempt to send are not larger than 600KB. MMS messages may be scaled to suit the recipient’s device’s specifications such as screen size and screen resolution.
- Operator assisted calls
You will be charged the full minute rate for each minute or part minute.
- 0900, premium numbers and short codes
Calls to 0900 numbers are not supported. Calls to other premium numbers are charged the full minute rate for each minute or part minute. Certain short codes are available for use and the charges can be found on here.
Any number of voicemail messages may be checked per access. Calls to your voicemail account from your mobile phone will be charged at 18 cents regardless of duration. This charge applies when you are on a Skinny Prepaid Plan, or when you are using standard rates. Calls to Voicemail when on an active $36, $46, $66 or $77 Unlimited Mobile Plan are included and will not be charged.
Calling and checking voicemail while roaming overseas is charged at the same roaming rate as a call to NZ from your overseas destination. While roaming you may incur charges for voicemail messages when your device is connected to an overseas network, regardless if the device is switched on or off.
- Video Calling
Video Calling is only available when you make video calls to other video calling capable mobiles on the Skinny Network within New Zealand, or video-capable mobiles on a supported international mobile network in a video-capable coverage area. Video calling is charged at the same rate as our standard rates for voice calling. You can view our standard rates here.
Back to top
Back to top
Global Roaming Terms and Conditions
Skinny offers a Global Roaming service, which enables you to make and receive voice calls, send and receive text messages and for data, access packet and WAP data in countries that are included within Skinny's Roaming Add-Ons. Data Roaming in countries which are not part of Skinny Roaming Add-Ons is not currently available.
The roaming services that are available for you are dependent on the overseas network you have access to, the specific device you own as well as the Skinny rates you are signed up to. For more information on where you can roam and what services you have access to please go to the roaming Pricing tool located at the Skinny Overseas Roaming page here.
Roaming relies on the use of overseas Telecommunications networks which we do not control and therefore we cannot offer any guarantees about the quality of roaming services. Some services, such as video calling, may not be available while roaming. The use by you of overseas Telecommunication networks will be subject to the terms and conditions of the relevant overseas network operator. Those terms and conditions will apply in addition to the terms and conditions contained in this agreement.
If you are travelling through the service range of a network not supported by the Skinny roaming partner alliance you will only have access to emergency services - e.g. you will not be able to make or receive voice calls/texts, make a data connection or have access to voicemail. If you attempt to access roaming services on a network that is not supported by the Skinny roaming partner alliance you will get an operator notification.
At sea and in-flight roaming is not available on Prepaid.
Charges and Zone Based Pricing
You can view our Overseas Roaming Rates here.
Roaming charges vary by call type and by country. Charges listed for incoming and outgoing calls while roaming are charged per minute (you pay the full minute rate for each minute or part minute) and are subject to change without notice. Please check our Overseas Roaming Rates regularly for the most up-to-date charges.
The charges that apply to roaming are in addition to any other charges which apply to your mobile Prepaid Plan or standard rates.
The charges for roaming may include charges for voice calls and other messages sent and received or for accessing VAS/WAP and Internet services. The charges for Roaming will be determined by Skinny and/or the overseas network operator.
Your Skinny 28 Day or Weekly Prepaid Plan includes minutes used for calls made within New Zealand and cannot be used while roaming.
Skinny reserves the right to change the Overseas Roaming pricing from time to time and we will endeavour to give you at least 10 days notice of any change by posting the amendments on our website.
Additional charges may be incurred when calling premium or other special numbers (e.g. 0900, 0172 etc) while roaming.
Some VAS / Data services that are free in NZ are charged while roaming.
All Data services accessed while roaming through the menu will be charged the applicable NZ rates inclusive of NZ GST and will also include an underlying roaming data charge which will be GST exclusive.
For Roaming Pack and Roaming casual rates, all charges are nil GST. All roaming charges are listed in New Zealand currency and do not attract GST.
Texts sent while roaming should be limited to 160 characters or else they will be split and sent as two texts. If this occurs you will be charged for each text.
Data roaming requires a Data Roaming Add-On, and is charged in 10kb increments and will be deducted from your Overseas Roaming Add-On data allowance.
Skinny websites or Apps are zero-rated while in New Zealand and overseas while roaming so you don’t incur any charges browsing skinny.co.nz or using the Skinny mobile app.
Your roaming charges will be deducted on a pay-as-you-go basis from your prepaid account balance. If you purchase an Overseas Roaming Add-On, your usage will be deducted as you use your allowance until it is used up.
Prepaid customers may incur charges for voicemail deposits when their device is connected to an overseas network, regardless if the device is switched on or off.
There can be a delay for billing roaming services because the information must first be provided to Skinny from the overseas network operator. Note that this could take up to 8 weeks in some cases. Any delay in billing does not affect Skinny's right to charge you for your roaming charges, and you agree to pay all charges in full when they are due.
You are liable for all charges deducted from your prepaid balance while roaming. If your phone or Skinny SIM is lost or stolen while overseas, you must advise us immediately. To do so, contact the Helpdesk on 0800 475 4669 from within New Zealand or on +64 3 371 0866 from overseas. The account holder is responsible for all charges incurred through the use of their phone or SIM up until the time you advise us that it has been stolen or lost.
There may be a delay for roaming services charges to appear on your account because the information must first be provided to Skinny from the overseas network operator. Note that this may take weeks in some cases. Any delay in roaming services charges does not affect Skinny's right to charge you for your roaming charges, and you agree to pay all charges in full when they are due. You can check out how much data you'll need while roaming here.
Skinny SIMs are valuable pieces of hardware and are linked to your Skinny Mobile account. If your mobile has a Skinny SIM you should treat it like a credit or bank card, and keep it secure at all times. If your Skinny SIM is lost or stolen while overseas you must contact the Overseas Roaming Helpdesk immediately or on +64 3 371 0866 to deactivate your card, otherwise it could be used by others to incur charges.
Travel SIM terms
As at 25th October, the following plans will be in market as our only Travel Plans
$28 30-day Mobile Pack
All data, minutes and text allocations are valid for 30 days from activation. For use in New Zealand only. NZ/AUS minutes and text apply to standard New Zealand and Australia numbers. Overseas minutes can be used to call standard numbers in China, Hong Kong, India, UK, USA, Canada, Singapore, Thailand, Belgium, France, Denmark, Germany, Italy, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, South Korea, Malaysia, Bangladesh, Ireland, Netherlands, Fiji, or South Africa. Top up required for use of any services not included in the Pack. See skinny.co.nz/holidaysim for details. Skinny compatible device required, and Skinny terms and conditions apply.
$48 60-day Mobile Pack
All data, minutes and text allocations are valid for 60 days from activation. For use in New Zealand only. NZ/AUS minutes and text apply to standard New Zealand and Australia numbers. Overseas minutes can be used to call standard numbers in China, Hong Kong, India, UK, USA, Canada, Singapore, Thailand, Belgium, France, Denmark, Germany, Italy, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, South Korea, Malaysia, Bangladesh, Ireland, Netherlands, Fiji, or South Africa. Top up required for use of any services not included in the Pack. See skinny.co.nz/holidaysim for details. Skinny compatible device required, and Skinny terms and conditions apply.
$88 60-day Data Only Mobile Pack
All data allocations are valid for 60 days from activation. For use in New Zealand only. Top up required for use of any services not included in the Pack. See skinny.co.nz/holidaysim for details. Skinny compatible device required, and Skinny terms and conditions apply.
Call Me Back service
Call Me Back is a service where Skinny customers (who do not have enough credit to make a call) are able to use the Skinny Mobile Menu to send a text message to other mobile users on any New Zealand network with a request to call you back. Call Me Back requests is only available to Skinny customers who have an active Skinny Prepaid Account. The service is limited to a maximum of 3 Call Me Back messages per Skinny customer per day.
You can transfer rollover data, rollover minutes, or top-up credit from your Skinny Prepaid account to another Skinny Prepaid account.
Both the giver and receiver need to be on active Skinny Prepaid accounts. Skinny Gifting is not available to/from Skinny Direct or Skinny Broadband accounts, or Skinny Prepaid accounts that are inactive (i.e. deactivated because the customer has not added credit for 12 months), expired, terminated, disconnected, suspended or blocked. Data and minute gifting is not available on the $77 Unlimited Mobile Plan.
Gifts of top-up credit:
• Gifts of top-up credit need to be in whole dollars amounts.
• You can gift a maximum of $60 in any 7 day period.
• To gift credit, use the Skinny App, Dashboard, or Skinny Mobile Menu (dial *888#, then select “other stuff” from the menu).
• Skinny’s normal terms for expiry of account credit apply.
Rollover data and rollover minutes:
• To gift rollover data or rollover minutes, you need to be on an active Skinny Rollover Prepaid Plan and have spare rollover data or rollover minutes available. The receiver does not have to be on a Skinny Rollover Prepaid Plan.
• Gifts of rollover data or rollover minutes can only be made on the Skinny App.
• A charge of $0.50 per transaction applies.
• Each gift needs to be in a block of 100, 200, or 500 MBs of rollover data, or 20, 100, or 200 rollover minutes.
• All gifted rollover data and rollover minutes expire 7 days from the time of the gift.
• If you used to be on a rollover Prepaid Plan and get a gift of rollover data or rollover minutes, any rollover allowances you have left over from that time will also be ‘unlocked’ for 7 days. Rollover data or rollover minutes will be used in order of expiry, with the next expiring allowance used up first.
Your new Skinny SIM
The Orange and White Standard/Micro and Nano SIMs are pre-provisioned onto Skinny’s standard rates default tariff unless stated otherwise. To make the most out of your prepay credit, purchase a 28 Day or Weekly Prepaid Plan and eligible Add-Ons.
You can add additional credit to your Skinny Prepaid account by using one of the methods available here. If you are topping up by using a voucher please note that these cannot be used after their expiry date. You must add credit to your account at least once every twelve months, otherwise your Skinny Prepaid Account will be deactivated. It is your responsibility to ensure any information, phone number, or amount you enter when topping up is correct, as if you make a mistake it is not refundable.
SIM Unlocking and Fee
If you have a Mobile Device that is SIM locked to our Network (a Skinny SIM Locked Mobile Device), it is to be used exclusively on our Network and must not be unofficially unlocked, interfered with, or disassembled without our prior written approval. A Skinny SIM Locked Mobile Device may only be unlocked by obtaining the manufacturers unlock code. An unlock fee applies if network locking is removed from any Skinny SIM Locked Mobile Device within the first nine months of being used on our Network (e.g. from the first time the Skinny SIM Locked Mobile Device is turned on and connects to our Network). The unlock fee is usually $30 (including GST), unless otherwise stated. After that time, it is free to unlock your phone.
To unlock your Skinny SIM Locked Mobile Device go to your Dashboard on the Skinny Website, or contact us.
There is a limited number of times an unlock code can be entered and attempted in a Skinny SIM Locked Mobile Device, so care must be taken to ensure the unlock code is entered correctly and in accordance with our authorised unlocking process. Exceeding the limited number of chances to correctly enter the unlock code, or any attempts by any person to unlock a Skinny SIM Locked Mobile Device without using our authorised unlocking process will render any applicable warranty associated with that Mobile Device void, and may cause technical issues and damage to the Mobile Device or Services for which we will not be responsible or liable.
Logging-in to your Dashboard with Facebook or Google+
If you log-in to your Dashboard using your Facebook or Google+ credentials, you authorise us to collect the following information:
a) Facebook - first name, last name, email address and your friends list. Skinny Mobile does not use the friends list. For more information please refer to the following website www.facebook.com/about/privacy/your-info-on-other#applications
b) Google+ - first name, last name, public profile URL, photo, gender, country, language, timezone and email address.
You understand and agree that Facebook’s or Google+’s use of information they collect from you is governed by their own privacy policies (Google+ and Facebook).
You can access and amend the information Skinny Mobile receives and retains about you as a result of logging-in via Facebook or Google+ through your settings on those accounts. To remove log-in functionality apps from your accounts please see here: for Facebook, for Google+ (you'll need to login to complete these actions).
To change or delete any other data that Skinny Mobile may retain about you as part of this log-in process, please contact Skinny Mobile. Skinny Collect
For Skinny Collect terms & conditions, please refer to https://www.skinny.co.nz/collect/collect-terms/
Back to top
Skinny Mobile Linked Account service allows Skinny customers to:
• link all of their Skinny accounts under one account management portal (e.g. a Device SIM and an iPad SIM); or
• allow one Skinny customer to manage other Skinny customer’s accounts (e.g. families, employees, flatmates, etc.); or
• a mixture of both.
A Skinny customer who will be managing each account must first create a primary online account called the “Parent account” which will be used to manage their own Skinny mobile number.
The Parent account can then link up to 9 other Skinny Mobile numbers (“Child accounts”) in order to have full access to and manage each account via single online portal access.
- Skinny customers who have created a Parent account and who have obtained consent from each Child account to access and manage these accounts. Skinny will send verification code via SMS to each Child account in order to verify consent.
- A Child account cannot also be a Parent account
- Customers, including those using data only devices, must be able to access a verification code sent by SMS by Skinny to the Child SIM in order to be able to link it to a Parent account
- Each Skinny SIM can only be part of a single Linked Account Group either as a Child account or Parent account.
- Skinny will allow Parent accounts to have full access and management rights of each Child account.
- By creating a Parent account Skinny customers agree to these terms and conditions.
- Skinny customers who have a Parent account must ensure that any other person who may be the owner of a Child account understands and accepts these terms and conditions.
- Each account holder remains responsible and liable for all charges associated with their Skinny account and for observing their Skinny Mobile terms and conditions.
Application and Access
Charges and Billing
- On the skinny.co.nz website, a Parent account can perform all available account actions on their own account and the Child account except the following:
• Change the Child’s online account password if established.
- If the Child account has a registered skinny.co.nz account at any time before or after linking, the Child account can only perform the following actions with their online account after they provide their consent for their Child account to be linked:
• Change Child password and use the password reset functionality to successfully reset their password
• Make a one-off top up using a voucher
• Make a one-off top up using an unregistered (non-stored) credit/debit card
• View usage history (but not export)
• View remaining balances, remaining texts, minutes and data, Skinny $ (if available)
• View existing Prepaid Plans and add-ons on their account including renewal/expiry date(s)
• View SIM expiry date
• Block/unblock SIM
• Transfer credit from the Child account
• Complete a Port Request
• The child can still use the Mobile Menu or IVR to top up, buy Prepaid Plans and Add-Ons for their account.
1. Every account/ SIM managed under the Skinny Mobile Linked Accounts service must have its own credit – there is no automatic sharing of credit between accounts/ SIMs or any sharing of quota between numbers.
2. If a Prepaid Plan and/or Add-On, is not active on the Child account (e.g. they just have existing credit) the Child will continue to be charged standard rates until such time that a Prepaid Plan and/or Add-On has been activated either by the Parent on the website or the Child via USSD or IVR.
1. Skinny reserves the right to unlink any Parent and Child relationship at any time and without prior notification.
2. Each party may choose to unlink their account, without consent of the other(s), via any of the following:
• By calling the Skinny Help Centre. If Child / Parent would like to unlink their account at any time they can place a call to the Skinny Helpdesk on 0800 475 4669 and a Customer Service Representative will send their SMS a Cancellation notification inclusive of a verification code for the Child to quote for unlinking purposes.
• Either Parent account or Child account ports out the SIM number associated with the relevant account
• Parent account or Child accounts are cancelled
• Parent online account or Child online accounts are cancelled.
• Parent account ONLY can unlink the Child account in their online Dashboard on skinny.co.nz
• In the event that the Accounts are no longer linked:
- The Parent account will have no management rights to the previously linked Child account(s) via the Parent’s skinny.co.nz portal.
- The Child will regain sole access and management rights to their online account.
- Skinny will inform the Child account(s) via SMS (Your Skinny account is no longer managed by %. You now have full control over your account) to the registered SIM number that the link to the Parent account has been cancelled.
- All auto top ups on Child accounts will be removed.
- Any credit/debit cards that the Parent account had stored against the Child account(s) will be removed.
- If the Child account does not have a username and password set up (and therefore have never logged in to see their Skinny account online) they will be required to do so when they first log in to skinny.co.nz.
Back to top
Skinny device repairs policy
As a consumer customer you have rights under the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993 (“CGA”) and Skinny will honour its legal obligations to you. If you would like to make a claim under the CGA, Skinny asks that you follow the below steps to return your goods to Skinny for CGA assessment and, depending on the nature of your claim, repair or replacement:
• Visit our Skinny Returns Page and log your CGA repair claim. Select the ‘It’s not working’ section on the returns page.
• As part of logging your CGA repair claim, you will have a $55 Assessment Bond ‘held’ with your credit or debit card. This Assessment Bond will be released if you have a valid claim under the CGA. If it is found that your claim is not covered by the CGA, e.g. because you have misused or caused damage to your device, because the CGA warranty period has lapsed, or because your device has been purchased for the purposes of a business, then you will be charged the $55 Assessment Bond.
• You will need to fill in the form on the Skinny Dashboard ‘Returns & Repair’ tab, which you will then print out and send to our repair agency (Telegistics) at your own cost. Telegistics address is
ATTN: Telegistics Repair
117 Carbine Road
Mt Wellington 1060
• Make sure you take out your SIM before you send us your device as SIMs will not be returned following device repair or replacement, for your protection.
• Following receipt of your device, Skinny’s nominated repair agent will assess your CGA claim and device.
• a. If it is determined that you have a valid claim under the CGA then your device will either be repaired or replaced, depending on the nature of the defect in your device. Following repair/replacement, your device will be returned to you and you will have your $55 Assessment Bond released.
• b. If it is determined that you do not have a valid claim under the CGA and your claim is rejected, we will contact you to discuss next steps. These will involve either returning your device to you or agreeing with you to repair your device at an additional cost to you. If your claim is rejected, the $55 Assessment Bond will be charged.
Please remove your SIM from your device before you send it to Skinny’s repair agent, as all SIMs received will not be returned in accordance with internal policy and for your protection. We also suggest backing up your device before sending it in for repair as any information saved to the device may be wiped as a part of the repair process.
If you've bought a device from our online store and change your mind about your purchase, you can return a new device for a full refund, provided you enter your request within 30 days of the date on the packing slip you receive with your new Skinny device. The box containing the device should be unopened, undamaged, all external wrapping and seals intact and in pristine condition. To return the device, login to your online account and go to the ‘Phone, SIM & Number’ section. Go to ‘Send your device’ back and select ‘I’ve changed my mind’ and fill in the form.
Online purchases change of mind policy
Once you've submitted the form, your computer will automatically download a summary for you. You will need to print this out and pop it into a courier bag with your device so we can identify it. If you don't have a printer, please add a note with your reference number (you can find this on the last page of this process) and attach it to your device. You'll need to purchase a courier bag and send the modem & printed form to:
117 Carbine Road
Mt Wellington 1060
We also reserve the right to refuse any returns that do not adhere to the above conditions. If your return is rejected, we will return the device to you with no refund.
Excluded usage and services
• SMS Delivery Status Reports are not currently supported.
• The Grace Period is no longer available. Therefore, if you do not have enough credit when your Prepaid Plan expires, your Prepaid Plan and any Add-Ons will not renew, and you will need to reactivate them.
• Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) is not supported, and we cannot guarantee that access or performance levels will be maintained.
• 3 Way Calling and Call transfer are not supported.
• Any applications you accept for use on your device are your own responsibility. Skinny cannot accept responsibility for the effect of applications or content downloaded to your device, or misuse of your personal information, through use of those third party applications.
Back to top
Back to top
Promotional offers available to Skinny Mobile customers in New Zealand will not apply when using the roaming service unless they are specifically related to roaming.
$50 off modem – valid from 5th December 2018
The $50 off your modem costs is available to new customers signing up to any Skinny Wireless Broadband Plan or Skinny Unlimited Open Term plan, and purchasing a Skinny modem.
Not available with any other offers. Not available to existing Skinny Wireless Broadband or Skinny Unlimited Broadband customers, new Skinny Unlimited customers signing up to a 12 month contract term, or customers bringing their own modems. Offer available until 31/01/2019. Broadband not available everywhere. Modem and connection fees apply.
Porting Offer - valid from 30 September 2019
- New mobile customers only
- A customer who activates a new SIM and buys a rollover mobile plan and brings their number over within 30days from activation of SIM.
- Excludes Skinny Direct customers
- If you are on the $79 Unlimited Mobile Plan, $9 or weekly plans, you will still receive this porting bonus. However, to use the bonus rollover data you will need to move to one of Skinny’s Rollover plans. Your bonus rollover data will sit in our account for 12 months, unless used prior.
- Eligible Skinny Rollover Plans = $16, $26, $36, $46, $66 Rollover Plans
- If you are current Skinny broadband customer you can still claim this offer: if you are new to Skinny mobile.
- It will take approximately 3 hours (or more) to bring your number across from your previous provider to Skinny, as long as all your details are correct at time of porting, and there are no account issues with your provider.
- You may be responsible for unlock fees, porting charges and/or early termination charges to your current telecommunications provider.
- Can I use my phone while I am waiting?
- Yes - If you are using your new Skinny SIM, then you’ll receive a text telling you that your old number has been switched over to Skinny.
- Or you can continue to use your current (non-Skinny) SIM until you can no longer make or receive calls/texts or use your mobile data. When this happens the switch is complete and you can now pop your new Skinny SIM into your phone and your number will be there waiting
- Rollover data expires in 12 months, unless used prior.
- Skinny terms apply.
- Bonus data of 5GB Rollover Data will usually take up to 1 hour or less to be applied to your plan. In some cases, this may take up to 1-3 working days to be applied. You must be on a Skinny mobile rollover plan to use your bonus data. Data is a one off bonus.
Sony Extra Bass™ Speaker – Christmas 2018 Offer
The Gift with Purchase offer is a Sony Extra Bass™ Portable BLUETOOTH® Speaker XB01 speaker. Promotion is only available to customers who do not currently get broadband from Skinny and have not had broadband with Skinny for the last 90 days, who sign up to any Skinny 4G Wireless Broadband or Skinny Unlimited plan from 08/11/2018. There are limited stocks of this speaker available, and this offer is for a limited time, until 12/12/2018 or while stocks last. It may be subject to change or expiry without prior notice. The Sony Extra Bass speaker is available in four colours which will be sent at random. No colour exchanges. Offer is not exchangeable for cash, or account credit. One gift per customer. The speaker will be sent to you with the Skinny modem that you will have ordered when you signed up to Skinny Broadband. If you choose to return your Skinny modem under our 30 Day Network Guarantee policy, the speaker must be returned as well. The Sony Extra Bass speaker requires Bluetooth connection or Stereo Mini Jack. Click here for technical specifications and compatibility details. Skinny will fulfil its obligation to help manage returns/repairs in the event the Speaker is faulty or damaged. Broadband not available everywhere. Skinny Terms and Conditions apply https://www.skinny.co.nz/skinny-terms/
Double Data and Double Minutes Offer
• Double data and double minutes only available on the 28 day $9 plan and 7 day $5 Weekly plan.
• Double data and double minutes available on every plan renewal from 1/11/2018 to 3/03/2019.
• Data and minutes do not rollover.
• Offer not available on 30 day $9 plan, Busy Fingers, Loose Lips and Data Weekly.
• You need to stay active on an eligible plan to get the double data and double minutes.
• Standard Plan T&Cs apply.
1. Skinny may generate and distribute coupons to be used only in the online store at skinny.co.nz. These coupons may be single or multiple use and apply to all products, specific products or specific categories of product, at Skinny’s sole discretion. Coupons may expire on a certain date and time.
2. The individual coupon rules will be communicated at the time of the distribution of coupons when possible or specified on the website.
3. Coupons can apply discounts either as dollar amounts or percentages.
4. Coupons may not be transferred, used to purchase credit on your account or exchanged for cash.
5. There is a limit of one coupon to be used per cart purchase. In other words, you cannot enter more than one coupon per payment.
6. Skinny retains the right not to honour a coupon code or to disable it at any time and if you have paid for the coupon Skinny, at its sole discretion, will provide you with either a replacement coupon of the same value or reimbursement for the cancelled coupon.
7. In cases where Skinny suspects attempted abuse of the coupon system in the online store, we may pursue legal action against the person(s) involved and will cancel any orders associated with this activity
Facebook Competitions and Giveaways
1. By participating in any competition or giveaway advertised by Skinny Mobile (“Skinny”) on its Facebook page (the “Competition”), you confirm that you accept and agree to these competition terms.
2. The Promoter of the Competition is Skinny a division of is Spark New Zealand Trading Limited (“Spark”). The Competition is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook. You completely release Facebook from any and all liability associated with this Competition. 3. Employees of Spark and Skinny Mobile are not eligible to enter.
4. Entrants must follow the instructions on the Competition Facebook post to enter this competition.
5. The Competition entry closing and opening dates will be specified on the Competition Facebook post.
6. Skinny is not responsible or liable for any late, lost or misdirected entries or for any problems or technical malfunction which may result in delay or failure to enter you into the draw.
7. All entries to this Competition become the property of Skinny and will not be returned to the entrants.
8. The winner(s) will be drawn as specified by the Facebook Competition post. The prize winner(s) will receive the prize that is advertised on either the Facebook Competition post or the Facebook Competition photo or another prize of equal value. Skinny accepts no responsibility or liability for any prize winner’s enjoyment of any prize or any other costs and expenses that may be incurred by the prize winner relating to the prize or the winner’s enjoyment of that prize (including any travel related costs where relevant and unless otherwise specified in the Facebook Competition post).
9. Skinny will endeavour to notify each of the prize winners by email, text or phone. However, if the winner cannot be reached within three working days, we may redraw a new prize winner without liability to any person. Skinny reserves the right to contact the selected winners by other means.
10. Prizes cannot be transferred or exchanged or redeemed for cash. Skinny takes no responsibility for entries or prizes that are lost or destroyed.
11. Accepting the prize constitutes a winner's consent to be photographed and/or interviewed by Skinny and for Skinny to use his or her name, city/town of residence, competition entry and/or photographs and interviews for Competition or publicity purposes without compensation. This includes on Skinny’s website, direct and social media channels.
12. The winner acknowledges that redemption of some prizes may require the winner to be at least 18 years of age or have parental/ guardian consent. We will let you know on our Facebook Competition post.
13. The decisions of Skinny on all matters relating to this Competition are final and no correspondence will be entered into. Skinny reserves the right to verify the validity of an entry or a winner's right to redeem the prize in accordance with these terms and conditions. Skinny reserves the right to amend the prizes offered and these terms and conditions and in its absolute discretion cancel the competition at any time and without prior notice.
14. To the extent permitted by law, Skinny excludes any liability it may have to you arising directly or indirectly out of or in connection with this Competition.
16. All Facebook competitions are restricted to people 18 years and over unless otherwise specified.
Skinny Customer Terms and Service Terms and charges apply to each Skinny Buddy Rewards promotion.
Skinny Buddy Rewards as of 29/04/2019
1. Skinny customers (“you” or the “referrer”) may request a Skinny Buddy Rewards promo code (“promo code”) via the Skinny App.
2. If any of your friends then join Skinny on a $16 or higher 28 Day Prepaid Plan and use that promo code, we will give you and each of those friends Skinny Buddy rewards. Skinny Buddy rewards will be either a NZD top-up credit or Rollover Data, as stated in your app message. Skinny Buddy rewards are subject to change periodically.
3. Your promo code must be redeemed by your friend(s) by 31/10/2019. Your promo code can be shared with as many of your friends as you like provided that each of your friends (“eligible friend”):
a. Is a real person (sorry, we don’t accept imaginary friends);
b. Is not currently a Skinny customer;
c. Signs up for a $16 or more 28 day Prepaid Plan; and
d. Redeems your promo code before the date that is 30 days after they join Skinny and by 31/10/2019.
4. If Skinny identifies or suspects the creation of a ‘fake’ friend in order to claim rewards, we may cancel the rewards given, and/or suspend your Skinny services.
5. As the referrer, you will get the reward for each eligible friend who joins Skinny and uses the promo code
6. Each of your friends who joins Skinny will receive the reward once in respect of that promo code.
7. New customers who buy the $77 Unlimited Mobile Plan with a buddy rewards code, will get the 4GB rollover data but will not be able to use it unless they move to an active Rollover plan. Rollover data expires in 365 days.
8. Skinny Buddy rewards may differ for you (as the referrer) and each of your friends who join Skinny, as stated on your app at the time the code is generated
9. Any reward (either an account credit or Rollover Data) that you earn with your promo code expires 12 months from the date it is applied to your account.
10. The Skinny Buddy Rewards promo code is available for all Skinny Mobile Prepaid products, it is not available for Skinny Direct products, Skinny Unlimited Broadband or Skinny Wireless Broadband
11. If your account is deactivated because you have not added credit for 12 months or your account is otherwise expired, terminated, disconnected, suspended, or blocked you and your friend may not receive the Skinny Buddy reward.
12. As of 29/04/2019 the Buddy Rewards Promotion has been extended and all existing codes have had their expiry dates extended from the original 6 month period to 31/10/2019. (Please note Skinny App must be updated to version 2.0.7 (iOS) or 2.0.6 (Android) or later to view updated Expiry Date) Skinny Customer Terms and Service Terms and charges apply to each Skinny Buddy Rewards promotion.
Enable Fibre Promotion
1. Speed upgrade provided to customers on the Unlimited Fibre 100 plan who are connected via the Enable network in the Christchurch region only.
2. The Unlimited Fibre 100 plan is no longer available to customers who are eligible for connection to the Enable network. To see whether you can connect to the Enable network see https://www.enable.net.nz/
3. Skinny may decide to make the Fibre 100 Plan available again at its discretion.
4. Discounted price of $78 provided to all customers on the Unlimited Fibre 200 plan who are connected to the Enable network in the Christchurch region.
5. Existing customers already on the Unlimited Fibre 200 plan will receive the discounted price from their next bill date after notice from Skinny.
6. New and existing customers are eligible for the speed upgrade and/or price discount.
7. Speed upgrade and/or price discount only apply to the Unlimited Fibre 100 plan and Unlimited Fibre 200 plan.
8. Skinny has the right to withdraw and/or amend the speed upgrade and/or price discount at any time.
9. Non Standard install charges apply as explained in our standard terms.
10. Other contract terms do not change.
Skinny Collect terms and conditions
For Skinny Collect terms & conditions, please refer to https://www.skinny.co.nz/collect/collect-terms/
Back to top
Skinny Wireless 4G Broadband terms and conditions
Updated 29th June 2018
Back to top
The following terms along with the Skinny Customer Terms and the Skinny Service Terms form the terms and conditions for the Skinny Wireless 4G Broadband service. These terms will prevail to the extent that they are inconsistent with the Skinny Customer Terms and/or the Skinny Service Terms.
30 day money back network guarantee
In the event that the Skinny Wireless 4G Broadband Service (“Service”) is not available at your location or the quality of the Service is not of an acceptable quality you can take us up on our 30 Day Money Back Network Guarantee.
To do this you need to let us know about your service issues within 30 days of receiving the Skinny Broadband Wireless Modem (“Modem”) by filling out the online form at skinny.co.nz/returns and return your Modem.
The Modem must be returned in good working order and as good as new. This means the Modem must be fully functional, that you have not tampered with the Modem in any way, including but not limited to attempting to open the Modem, and that the Modem is free from any scratches or visible marks. Once we have received your Modem back we will provide you with a full refund of the purchase price of the Modem to the credit card you used when signing up to the Service. The refund excludes any plan fees, additional data charges and other costs.
Our Network Guarantee is available once per customer per address.
Skinny reserves its right to remove the Network Guarantee at any time. However, any customers who joined the Service within 30 days of Skinny removing the Network Guarantee will still be able to take advantage of the Network Guarantee.
Our Network Guarantee does not seek to limit any other rights or remedies you may have available to you under law, such as under the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993.
If you've bought a Modem from our online store and change your mind about your purchase, the Skinny Wireless 4G Broadband Service (“Service”) is not available at your location, or the quality of the Service is not of an acceptable quality you can return a new device for a full refund, provided you enter your request within 30 days of the date on the packing slip you receive with your new Skinny device. This right of return does not impact the rights you have as a consumer customer under the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993. The Modem must be returned in good working order and as good as new. This means the Modem must be fully functional, that you have not tampered with the Modem in any way, including but not limited to attempting to open the Modem, and that the Modem is free from any scratches or visible marks. It must also be returned with the box, cables and power supply in full working order. To return the device, login to your online account and go to the ‘Phone, SIM & Number’ section. Go to ‘Send your device’ back and select ‘I’ve changed my mind’ and fill in the form.
Once you've submitted the form, your computer will automatically download a summary for you. You will need to print this out and pop it into a courier bag with your modem so we can identify it. If you don't have a printer, please add a note with your reference number (you can find this on the last page of this process) and attach it to your device. You'll need to purchase a courier bag and send the phone & printed form to:
Telegistics Repair Limited
19 Gabador Pl
Mt Wellington 1060
We also reserve the right to refuse any returns that do not adhere to the above conditions. If your return is rejected, we will return the device to you with no refund.
General terms and conditions
• Skinny Wireless 4G Broadband is only available in certain 4G coverage areas. 4G coverage is not available everywhere. Although there will be more coverage rolled out over time, Skinny Wireless 4G Broadband is not available everywhere yet. So to check if you can get it at your place, and for what you need, check out http://www.skinny.co.nz/broadband
• You can only use your Modem to receive the Skinny Wireless 4G Broadband service at the location you entered into the address checker when you signed up to Skinny Wireless 4G Broadband (the installed location).
• If we become aware that you are using your Modem at a location other than the installed location, we reserve the right to terminate your Skinny Wireless 4G Broadband service without notice. The reason we retain this right is that we need to be able to manage the network to ensure that all customers using the network receive a reliable a consistent service.
• If you are moving and would like to use your Modem at your new address contact us and we will let you know if you can continue to use the Skinny Wireless 4G Broadband at your new place.
• Skinny does not guarantee that the service can be supplied at a particular location. In the event that service is not available at your location, you can return your Modem to Skinny within 30 days of receiving the Modem for a full refund of the purchase price and first month's access fees, if you paid for them (excludes purchases of additional data). See our 30 day money back guarantee for full information.
• Skinny Wireless 4G Broadband requires a Modem. Sorry, the Modem can only be used at the address you used when you first signed up to get Skinny Wireless 4G Broadband. The Modem costs $99 but we courier it to you free of charge.
• The super-duper Skinny Wireless 4G Broadband 60GB, 120GB, and 240GB Plans automatically renews every 30 days (unless you decide to cancel it first). Any unused data expires after 30 days and does not rollover.
• Once you've used all the data in your Skinny Wireless 4G Broadband 60GB, 120GB, and 240GB Plans, your data will come to a complete stop. To get going again you will need to buy a Skinny Wireless 4G Broadband 60GB, 120GB, or 240GB Plan again or a Broadband 10GB Add-On. Just sign into your Skinny dashboard to buy.
• Unfortunately, Skinny Wireless 4G Broadband customers are not eligible for offers and promotions that are available to Skinny Mobile customers, unless it says so in those terms and conditions.
• If you don’t use Skinny Wireless 4G Broadband for 24 months, it will stop working altogether you’ll need to call our Care team to fire it up again.
• The Skinny Wireless 4G Broadband SIM was only made to be used in the Modem that it came with. It won’t work in another data device. It also can’t be used for calling, texting, MMS, or checking voicemail.
• If you cancel your Skinny Wireless 4G Broadband Plan during the 30 days, or it fails to renew due to insufficient credit, never fear, you'll keep any remaining quota until its expiry date.
• If you have an existing broadband connection with another provider, you are responsible for arranging for disconnection of this service.
• The Modem contains a SIM card. You may not use this SIM card in any other device. It remains our property and you must return it to Skinny on request.
• The Modem requires mains power. In the event of a power failure, service will not be available, including access to emergency services.
• Charging for Skinny Wireless 4G Broadband starts once your service is connected to the network.
• Skinny's data rates for included data with the Skinny Wireless 4G Broadband 60GB, 120GB, and 240GB Plans are calculated based on usage and billed in 24 hour periods, with a minimum 256KB block from first data use and then per KB of usage after until the end of the 24 hour period. Each new 24 hour period will reset with a minimum 256KB block following the first data use. (Where: 8 bits (b) = 1 Byte (B); 1024 Bytes = 1 Kilobyte (KB); 1024 KB = 1 Megabyte (MB)).
• Any unused data within a monthly data bundle will not be carried forward to the following month.
• The Skinny Wireless 4G Broadband service is not able to be used as a gateway server.
• Static IP is not available on Skinny Wireless 4G Broadband plans.
• Upstream and downstream speeds are based on a theoretical maximum, and actual speeds will be affected by various factors including NZ and overseas networks, your modem and computer technology, and other environmental factors.
• Skinny Wireless 4G Broadband does not include landline or phone number.
• Services such as medic alerts, monitored home alarms, faxes, interactive features of SKY digital or PABXs are incompatible.
• Skinny Wireless 4G Broadband is not a static IP address so it can’t be used as a gateway server or for hosting particular games.
• Skinny Wireless 4G Broadband can’t do VOIP.
Back to top
Retired Terms and Conditions
To find out more about our retired terms and conditions click here.
Back to top